9/9/13

The Confusing Library: Listening Comprehension Exercise

I invite you to listen again to The Confusing Library, the funny episode by the Two Ronnies, and then I hope you have no problems filling in the gaps in the dialogue below between the customer (A) and the librarian (B)



(A) Excuse me! I wonder if you could (1)............me. I'm having some trouble (2)..............a book.
(B) Oh!
(A) Yes, they all seem to be, they all (3)............to be mixed up
(B) Mixed up? (4) ...............alright to me. All the (5)...........books are over there, all the blue books are over there...
(A) You don't classify books (6) .............the colour!
(B) Yes. It's the (7) ...............idea. He says it (8)........neater
(A) Well, neater maybe , but it doesn't (9)............it easy to find the book you want, does it?
(B) Oh well, maybe I can help you. What book is it (10) ............you want, Sir?
(A) It's (11) .....The Twisted Spur (12)....E.M. Haggerty
(B) Alright, Haggerty...Haggerty...Haggerty...Tennessee...Tennessee....Haggerty...Haggerty... There is Haggerty, Haggerty, Spur, Twisted, the, Haggerty, E.M. It's a (13)........book. Over there, there´s all the green books.
(A) But there are (14)............of green books there, I mean...
(B) Oh, naturally, they are (15)..................
(A) Oh, good!
(B) All the (16).........books are on the bottom, all the little books are on the (17)........
(A) All the big books on the bottom, the little books on the top?
(B) Oh, yes. What's yours, a little one or a (18)..........one?
(A) I don't know , (19)...........I?
(B) You aren't being very (20)............, are you, Sir?
(A) I'm not being very helpful! How am I (21) .......to find books if you (22)..........them like that?
(B) Well, I've (23)........had any trouble. Only this (24).......morning, I found just the book I (25)........just like that!
(A) What was that?
(B) Big (26) .......one
(A) Look, I am not interested in the (27).........or the colour
(B) Well, fortunately, upstairs we have (28) ..........of all these books that are here, all up on the second (29)..........
(A) Not classified by (30)........or colour?
(B) Not classified by size or (31).........
(A) Ah good, then perhaps you can (32).....me where on the (33)......floor I can find The Twisted Spur, E.M. Haggerty?
(B) Western, (34).........it?
(A) Yes, it is
(B) Is it a (35) ............western, or a thin western?
(A) Well, I don't (36)..........., do I?
(B) Well, all the thin westerns are on the right-hand (37).........., the thick on the left-hand side
(A) I don't believe this! Thick, green, thin, thick. I mean it's (38).....
(B) Barmy? Is it E. M. Barmy, or W.H.O. Barmy?
(A) Well, your system, it's (39) ......
(B) No one else has (40)...... complained
(A) Well, I am (41)...........Will you please (42)..... tell me where I can find a (43)...........of The Twisted Spur, by E.M. Haggerty?
(B) Oh, hallo, Mrs. P., how did you (44) ..........your book then?
(Mrs. P) Oh, it was fantastic. The (45)...... wonderful love story I've (46) ......read. Oooh, they were (47)....passionate! .................................................................Wonderful, wonderful! Just thinking (48)......it makes me......... (she leaves)
(B)  Well (49)......., what book was it you want, Sir?
(A) The big (50) ..........one.

KEY

(1) help
(2) finding
(3) seem
(4) look
(5) red
(6) by
(7) architect's
(8) looks
(9) make
(10) exactly
(11) called
(12) by
(13) green
(14) thousands
(15) subdivided
(16) big
(17) top
(18) big
(19) do
(20) helpful
(21) supposed
(22) file
(23) never
(24) very
(25) wanted
(26) red
(27) size
(28) duplicates
(29) floor
(30) size
(31) colour
(32) tell
(33) second
(34) is
(35) thick
(36) know
(37) side
(38) barmy
(39) stupid
(40) ever
(41) complaining
(42) finally
(43) copy
(44) enjoy
(45) most
(46) ever
(47) so
(48) about
(49) now
(50) blue



5 comentarios :

  1. Great exercise. I'll share it on my Facebook group.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Grande Sir Francis, me habían hablado de este blog, he tardado en entrar, pero ha valido la pena. Que bueno poder aparcar los problemas por un momento y poder disfrutar de sketches como este, magnífico, mi nivel de inglés no es del todo bueno pero este tipo de sketch son perfectos para reirme a la vez que estoy perfeccionando el idioma.
    Grande Sir Francis.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Grande Sir Francis, con el humor se afronta mejor la crisis. Me habían recomendado este blog, he tardado en entrar pero ha valido la pena. Sketch magnífico, perfectamente entendible para un nivel de inglés medio, como es el mío.
    Que bueno poder aparcar los problemas por un momento y echar unas risas a la vez que perfecciono el idioma.
    Grande Sir Francis!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Me alegro de que le guste el sketch y muchísimas gracias por su mensaje.

      Eliminar
    2. Me alegro de que le guste el sketch y muchísimas gracias por su mensaje.

      Eliminar