7/5/14

Preparing for the 'oposiciones': phrasal verbs exercises

Today we're going to review phrasal verbs again as I know some students find them difficult. I propose a couple of exercises, one of intermediate level, and the other, upper-intermediate:

EXERCISE -1 (intermediate level)

Fill in the gaps with the right particle:

1.- A rumour is going ......... that the boss is having an affair with his secretary.
2.- As I was walking down the street, I came ......... an old friend who(m) I hadn't seen in years.
3.- Traditions should be handed ...... from one generation to the next so that they are not lost.
4.- The wicked witch changed the prince ......... a frog.
5.- I get ....... very well with  my flatmate.
6.- Her father was working as a postman when the Spanish Civil War broke ........
7.- She put ......... a little money every month so that her son might go to Oxford University.
8.- He's broken ...... in spots. I think it must be chickenpox.
9.- The collapse of the government was brought ...... by a scandal involving a cabinet minister.
10.- The alarm is timed to go .... at 5.30 am.


EXERCISE -2  (upper-intermediate level)

Fill in the gaps with the correct form of one of the following verbs: boil, take, sound, catch, run, fill, blow, give, pass, show

11.- I was distressed to learn that Mrs Robinson had been ........over for promotion.
12.- You've been ill for two months. If you want to .........up with your classmates, you'll have to work hard.
13.- The Chinese investors bought 51% of the shares and therefore  ........ over our company.
14.- He's been .......... up huge debts that now have to be paid.
15.- It all ..... down to the same problem; we don't have the necessary equipment.
16.- .........them out and see if they are willing to sell their country house.
17.- Don't ........ me up again in front of the boss or you'll regret it.
18.- The teacher is ill, so I'm ......... in for her.
19.- Don't worry, I think the incident will ...... over soon.
20.- As you can see the rear of the building .......onto the river.

KEY

1.- around; 2.- across; 3.- down; 4.- into; 5.- on; 6.- out; 7.- aside; 8.- out; 9.- about; 10.- off; 11.- passed; 12.- catch; 13.- took; 14.- running; 15.- boils; 16.- Sound; 17.- show; 18.- filling; 19.- blow; 20.- gives.


0 comentarios :

Publicar un comentario