31/5/14

Preparing for the 'oposiciones': grammar transformation exercises

Re-write the sentences using the word given in brackets, so that the second sentence has the same meaning as the first:

Exercise 1

1.- I don't have enough money to buy that iPad. (too)
1.- That iPad.......................to buy.

2.- I walked quietly because I didn't want to wake the baby. (so)
2.- I walked quietly................................ to wake the baby.

3.- I graduated from college a year ago today. (time)
3.- I graduated from college ...................year.

4.- I am sure it will snow tomorrow. (bound)
4.- ........................tomorrow.

5.- It wasn't obligatory to go to work today. I thought it was. (gone)
5.- .................................to work today.

KEY

1.- is too expensive for me
2.- so as not
3.- this time last
4.- It's bound to snow
5.- I needn't have gone.

Exercise 2 (from Flo-Joe CPE Practice Tests)

1,. The mistakes in the accounts was not noticed until the figures were re-checked (light)
1.- The mistake in the accounts only ..................the figures were re-checked.

2,. I had no problems at all during my trip to France (plan)
2.- Everything ................. during my trip to France

3.- The heavy downpour brought their picnic to an abrupt end (cut)
3.- They had to ..............because of the heavy downpour.

4.- The reforms will not succeed unless they are carefully planned (crucial)
4.- Careful ................of the  reforms

5.- They think that Helen's brother stole the money (suspected)
5.- Helen's brother ..................the money

6.- I feel completely exhausted when I've listened to Marion for half-an-hour (leaves)
6.- Half-an-hour ..............completely exhausted 

Key

1.-came to light when/after/once; 2.- went according to plan; 3.- cut short their picnic/cut their picnic short; 4.- planning is crucial to/for the success/plans are crucial to/for the success; 5.- is suspected of stealing/having stolen; 6.- (of) listening to Marion leaves me (feeling)

0 comentarios :

Publicar un comentario