18/5/14

Preparing for the 'oposiciones': grammar transformation exercise.

Re-write the sentences using the word given in brackets, so that the second sentence has the same meaning as the first:

1.- No matter how hard he tried, he never found the treasure. (much)
1.- ................................., he never found the treasure.

2.- I told her not to cross the park at night. (warned)
2.- I .............................. crossing the park at night.

3.- I didn't answer the phone, even though I knew it was my husband calling. (despite)
3.- I didn't answer the phone ............ it was my husband calling.

4.- "Remember to give Paul my present", Grandma told me. (reminded)
4.- Grandma ................................... present.

5.- I could never have passed that exam without your help. (you)
5.- I could never have passed that exam ..........................

KEY

1.- Much as he tried
2.- warned her against 
3.- despite knowing
4.- reminded me to give Paul her
5.- if you hadn't helped me.

4 comentarios :

  1. Hi!Thanks a lot for these exercises.Can we also consider the following transformations correct?
    2. I warned her not to cross...
    3. I didn't answer the phone despite the fact that it was my husband...
    4. Grandma reminded me of giving Paul muy present

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Your answer to number 2 is indeed grammatically correct, and I should have added 'crossing' in the help given for this sentence transformation to exclude this possibility. I have done it now.
      The answer you suggest for 3 is also grammatically correct, but it does not express clearly the fact that she 'knew' it was her husband calling.
      Number 5, however, is not correct since to remind sb of sth/sb means 'to make somebody remember someone that they know or something that happened in the past'.
      I thank you, Ana Mª, for your helpful comments to my post.

      Eliminar
  2. Dear Francisco,
    Thanks a lot for you comments and tour help.

    ResponderEliminar