3/6/13

modals: special difficulties (4)


4.- MUST IN THE PAST

In indirect speech you can use must or had to, but only had to in direct speech:

The boss told me that I must /had to get to work earlier - el jefe me dijo que debía/tenía que llegar más temprano al trabajo.
He had to sell his house - tuvo que vender su casa.

Practice-4

Turn the following sentences into the past

a.- My father always tells me that I must respect my teachers.
b.- My husband is away, so I must walk the dog.
c.- He must retire at 55 owing to bad health.
d.- The cleaning lady is ill, so I must make the beds.


KEY TO PRACTICE -4


a.- My father always told me that I must/had to respect my teachers. b.- My husband was away, so I had to walk the dog. c.- He had to retire at 55 owing to bad health. d.- The cleaning lady was ill, so I had to make the beds.

0 comentarios :

Publicar un comentario