15/7/13

Formas de expresar el futuro en inglés

El futuro puede expresarse en inglés de las siguientes maneras:

1) Con will, gen. contraido ('ll) en lenguaje coloquial:

I'll see you next Monday.
I'll be thirty tomorrow.
Your train will arrive in ten minutes.
Our son will soon be with us again.
You'll feel better if you take this medicine.
If you study hard, I'm sure you'll pass your exam.

Para la primera persona del singular y del plural, puede usarse también shall (e.g. I shall be thirty tomorrow), pero el uso de shall para el futuro en lugar de will es muy poco frecuente en el inglés actual, si exceptuamos el lenguaje formal, esp. el legal o académico:
In this chapter, we shall discuss wildlife in Kenya - En este capítulo, analizaremos la vida salvaje en Kenya.

En cambio el uso de shall es muy frecuente como verbo modal en preguntas que expresan una sugerencia o piden la conformidad de alguien sobre algo:
Shall we dance? - ¿Bailamos?
Shall I open the window? - ¿Abro la ventana?
El uso de will como modal es igualmente muy frecuente en preguntas que expresan peticiones corteses o invitaciones:
Will you please pass me the salt? - Por favor, ¿me pasas la sal?
Will you have another cup of tea? - ¿Quieres tomar otra taza de té?
(para un estudio completo de los usos de shall y will como modales, véase mi Gramática Inglesa, 9ª ed., pp. 308-310 y 313-317 y para el uso de shall y will en question tags con imperativos, pp. 562-563)

Además de tiempo futuro , will puede indicar también otros matices añadidos, como por ejemplo:
 - (intención/voluntad): We'll go to England next summer.
- (decisión tomada en el momento en que se habla): Don't get up, I'll answer the door.
- (predicción): Man will soon get to Mars.
- (promesa): We'll pay you before the end of the month.
- (amenaza): If you go now, you won't see me again.
- (suposiciön): "The phone's ringing". "That'll be my mother."

2) con going to + infinitivo, para expresar:
- intención del que habla de hacer o no hacer algo: 
I'm going to learn German.
I'm going to go fishing next weekend.

- opinión del que habla de que algo va a ocurrir de forma inminente o en un futuro más o menos próximo, por haber signos evidentes de ello: 
It's awfully cold; I think it's going to snow.
She's going to have a baby.
Be careful! you're going to hit that tree.

3) con el simple continuous, para expresar algo planeado de antemano:
I'm playing tennis with Francis on Saturday
We're leaving tomorrow morning

4) con el simple present, para expresar acciones futuras que forman parte de un programa determinado:
We arrive in London on Friday
We visit the Tower on Saturday.
We leave on Sunday.

A veces, la misma idea puede expresarse de varias maneras. Por ejemplo, para expresar intención, puede usarse going to, present continuous o future continuous:
Are you going to come to the party next Friday?
Are you coming to the party next Friday?
Will you be coming to the party next Friday? (para el uso del future continuous, véase mi Gramática Inglesa, 9ª ed., pp. 268-271). 

PRÁCTICA

Rellena los huecos con la forma futura más apropiada en cada caso:

1.- "I can't open the jar." "Give it to me .................it." (do)
2.- Look at those black clouds; I think it ................(rain)
3.- "Will you have the chicken or the pork?" "..............the pork, thank you." (have)
4.- ......you ...........the house? (sell)
5.- "They're knocking on the door". "Gosh!, that.....the police". (be)
6.- As soon as I get home, I..........a shower. (have)
7.- Don't worry, I...........you a new dress for your birthday. (buy)
8.- If we don't hurry, we...............the beginning of the film. (miss)
9.- "Why don't we meet for lunch on Tuesday afternoon?" "Sorry, I can't. I .........to the dentist on Tuesday." (go)
10.- I'm so sorry! It ................again. (happen)


KEY

1.- I'll do; 2.- is going to rain; 3.- I'll have; 4.- are you selling?/are you going to sell?; 5.- that will be/that'll be; 6.- I'll have/I'm going to have; 7.- will buy; 8.- will miss/are going to miss; 9.- am going; 10.- won't happen.

Para ampliar información sobre el tema, puedes consultar:
mi Gramática Inglesa, 9ª ed., Pearson, pp. 265-268
Inglés B-1, Verticebooks, pp. 72-73.








0 comentarios :

Publicar un comentario